A lot of people always ask me why I decided to name my blog The Book's Buzz. My name isn't as creative and unique as some other sites, but I love the connotation of my site's name. First off, it sounds very kawaii (cute in Japanese) and I love how alliterative it sounds. Well I've just about had enough with people asking me. I think it's time I tell a great story...
Do I love bees?
Because 'buzz' is usually associated with bees, people always believe I have some sort of special admiration for bees. In this case, that theory is a total misconception. I, in fact, don't like bees at all. I don't like them. I don't hate them because I am aware of how vital they are to this planet and just vegetation in general. Have you ever watched the Bee Movie? That movie is an exact representation of what the world would look like without bees.
I get so annoyed when bees are buzzing in my ear. I think it's the most irritating sound out of all the most irritating sounds in the world. I'm the kind of person that swats at the bee until it goes away or move to a different spot. In the summer, I wear bright sundresses, floral print tops, and vividly patterned skirts. Let's just say, I attract the bees! So no, I don't have some crazy obsession with bees that inspired the name for my blog.
The story behind my name is inspired by the act of fangirling and how we, as booklovers, love to share what we read with the world. I compared it to the buzzing of bees. It sort of took me a while to fall in love with the name, but I did in the end.
(Horrible) Names I Thought of B4 Picking 'The Book's Buzz'
Name Choosing Process
Choosing a name is perhaps the hardest aspect of creating a website/blog. You don't want to be a flake, as I call it. A flake is someone who jumps from one name to another in only a matter of months after coming up with their first one. It's annoying to your viewers and especially to yourself. Imagine changing your Bloglovin, Goodreads, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter bios just because you can't come up with a damn name! Everything is interconnected and if you decided to change one thing, it has to be changed on every other platform it's been registered on. It's insanity!
Choosing a name you like as well as one that make sense is vital. You want a name that can be the base to memes, punny event names, creative usernames, and etc. So for example my blog's name is The Book's Buzz. If I wanted to run an event for New Years, I would simply call it 'Buzzing Through the New Year...'
How to Choose a Name?
- Don't go blog hopping. Blog hopping exposes you to the names of other blogs. This is not a good thing. Don't act like you're just gathering inspiration for your name. Trust me, you'll be tempted to steal names or do something similar (that it's going to be obvious).
- What are your likes? Unlike me, you can name your blog after something you love. If you like coffee go for something like 'The Over-Caffeinated Reader' or 'The Book Bean-ery'
- Puns are always welcome. Using puns in a name brings a smile to people's faces. Make it an easy pun to recognize though. You don't want your viewers to be staring at your name forever and wondering what in the hell it means.
- Make it related to what you plan on discussing. If you want to blog about books don't name your blog 'The Empty Bathtub'. That's just going to confuse people when they refer to you because they're not going to know what you're talking about -- bathrooms or books? (especially if bathtub is in there lol).
- Be creative. Name-choosing is in the eye of the beholder and it should reflect some part of you.
- Get advice. Make a list of names for your friends and family to read. Let them vote on what they like best.